Stir-fried tomatoes and eggs on toast is one of our favourite breakfast fixes – because it doesn’t require many fancy ingredients (just tomatoes and eggs DUH) and it doesn’t take long to prepare. PERFECT for a lazy cook like me heh.
Also, pairing tomatoes and eggs is such a heavenly combination. Think Juicy tomatoes with soft runny eggs. Simply yummy with rice (for lunch/dinner) or on toast.
Not to mention the high nutritive value of tomatoes and eggs. Did you know that…
Tomatoes are a treasure of riches when it comes to their antioxidant benefits (anti-cancer!!). They contain good amounts of three high-powered antioxidants — Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C. They also contain all four major carotenoids — alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. On top of that, tomatoes are rich in minerals like potassium and manganese, which we often don’t get enough of. For breastfeeding moms, it increases the concentration of lycopene in their milk.
Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. They are regarded as a ‘complete’ source of protein as they contain all eight essential amino acids (which cannot be synthesised in our bodies and must be obtained from our diet). The whites are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. The yolks are sources of cholesterol, fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K and lecithin.
Time to start incorporating more tomatoes and eggs in your diet. Here’s the recipe which I tweaked a little from something found on the internet:
Stir-fried Tomatoes and Eggs Recipe (serves 4)
- 2 tomatoes (diced into small cubes)
- 4 eggs (I usually buy organic, lower-cholesterol ones)
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar (optional for added flavour)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or any other kind of vegetable starch)
- green onion
- salt and pepper
- sugar (neutralizes the sour taste of the tomatoes)
- Beat eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Add the green onion and sesame oil to the eggs and mix well.
- Add olive oil to the pan; turn up the heat. Add the egg mixture and break the egg into pieces. Toss and cook until the eggs are almost done (should be less then 2 minutes). Take out the egg mixture from the pan.
- Add more olive oil to the pan and stir-fry the tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with rice vinegar and sugar. Cook until you can see the tomato juice run and smell the tomatoes.
- Transfer the egg mixture back to the pan.
- In a separate small bowl, mix corn starch with slightly more than 1 tsp of water. Add to the pan.
- Toss and serve hot. It is ready! 🙂
This dish of tomatoes and eggs is original in taste and flavor (no need for MSG whatsoever), fresh and SO GOOD. Enjoy! x