About one year back, Mom started baking her own bread from scratch with the help of a bread machine. My family and I practically live on bread (bread is like air to us) so Mom has to bake a loaf once every few days. One of the things I miss about home is the comforting, inviting smell of Mom’s baked bread.
Why bake your own bread?
Compared to commercially-made bread, home-baked bread has much more nutrients and lesser additives. You choose the ingredients that go into your bread loaf which can be…
- 100% whole-grain (versus refined white flour).
- Less sweet/contain brown sugar (versus high fructose corn syrup or refined sugar).
- Trans fats free/contain olive oil (versus vegetable shortening or margarine).
- Healthier by adding ingredients like ground flaxseed, whole oats and quinoa flour.
- Free of preservatives and artificial ingredients.
Plus the fact that there are so many bread machines out there to simplify the process of baking your own bread. 🙂
During my last trip back in Singapore, I baked a Raisin Date Loaf with Mom, putting to use the dates I brought back from Jakarta. We used the oven instead of the bread machine for this one.
This Raisin Date Loaf recipe is simple and very easy to follow. You can hardly go wrong with it!
Raisin Date Loaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
- ¾ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose floor (we used organic flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar (we used brown sugar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (we used olive oil)
1.Preheat oven to 180 °C and grease a 8 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
2.Chop dates and squeeze oranges to get 1 cup orange juice.
3.Bring dates and orange juice up to a simmer. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature (a must!).
4.In a bowl, sift floor, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cloves.5.In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and oil. 6.Add egg mixture and dates to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in raisins. 7.Pour the combined mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes (or until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean). As our 8 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan was being used for something else, we used two separate smaller pans instead.
8.Let the raisin date loaf cool for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.There you go — your very own home-baked raisin date bread! #SoGood #SoHealthy
YUMMMMMMMY. 🙂 🙂 🙂